Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Saw this on a web site and just had to share!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine first 5 ingredients, 1-1/2 Tbs.
- cocoa powder and 3/4 cup sugar in a bowl.
- Pour into an 8 or 9 inch baking dish.
- Combine 2 Tbs.
- cocoa powder, 1 cup sugar and hot water in a separate bowl.
- Pour over cake batter and bake about 40 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a chilled bowl.
- Using chilled beaters, whip cream mixture until stiff.
- Serve cake upside down with whipped cream.
This has always been a favorite of mine. My mom used to make it all the time and now I make it quite often. Especially if we're having company for dinner. Everybody loves it. I always add some pecans or walnuts in it.
The dessert was not hard to make, however, it is more just a cake than a pudding cake. The texture and flavor of the small amount of moist cake there was on the bottom was not that of any kind of pudding that I am familiar with. With a little work this could be a very good recipe.
Easy to follow instructions and it is the recipe that I have been looking for. I lost my mother's recipe and I am so thankful that I found your recipe. Perfect textures, the creamy pudding, on the bottom, nice amount of cake on the top. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. My mom always served it with vanilla ice cream and I served it that way tonight.