Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from my Grandma, who go it from her mother. I don't know the history before that. Everyone just loves this cake, and when I asked Grandma about it, she said she didn't think it was anything special, just made with ingredients they were likely to have on the farm. Note: to make sour milk, add 1T vinegar or lemon juice to sweet milk. I make this as a very tall 9 x 13, 3 small layers or a whole bunch of cupcakes.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Cream the shortening and sugar, by hand or with a mixer.
- Add the cocoa and eggs. Mix well.
- Mix in the baking soda, salt and vanilla.
- Alternately blend in the liquid and the flour. You should have a smooth cake batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes in a 9 x 13 pan, less for layers or cupcakes.
- Top with your favourite frosting or just enjoy with milk!
I must have done something very wrong because while I followed the directions to a T, my 9x13 cake was dry and the center sunk in. It didn't taste bad, but it wasn't the super moist cake I have been searching for.
I made this cake and it was AMAZING!! I used this icing for mine!! Tasted amazing!!
This is a very delicious, moist cake. I would certainly make it again!