Wonderful flavor and richness. Grandma had a great idea here. You can substitute the Brandy with Frangelica, also the milks with low fat.
- 1 medium leek
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups chicken (Finely chopped)
- 0.5 (10 ounce) package broccoli (cooked and drained) or 0.5 (10 ounce) package spinach (cooked and drained)
- 1 pie crust (unbaked 10 inches in diameter)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese (shredded)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°F Cut leek in half lengthwise; wash and trim, leaving 2 to 3 inches of green tips intact. Cut leek halves crosswise into thin slices. Place in small saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Drain; reserve leek.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until chicken is golden, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and leek to chicken mixture,; cook 1 to 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Spoon chicken mixture into pie crust. Sprinkle flour and cheese over chicken mixture. Combine half and half, eggs, brandy (Frangelica can be used in place of brandy), salt, pepper and nutmeg in medium bowl. Pour egg mixture over cheese.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot or cold.