Recipe by keen5
I am not big on chicken soup, but I tried this and it was very good and simple too! I got this recipe from Mount Joy Mennonite Church cookbook in Mount Joy, PA (Lancaster County). Cook time does not include boiling the chicken.
- 2 1⁄2-3 1⁄2 lbs fryer chickens
- 6 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- basil leaves, to your taste
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped potatoes
- onion, cubed (I use 1 medium to large)
- bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken, water, bouillon, and basil leaves until tender.
- Take meat off bones and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Strain broth that chicken cooked in, if desired.
- Return chicken to broth.
- Add canned chicken broth, vegetables and bay leaf.
- Cook until vegetables are partially tender.
- Add soups and simmer for about 1 hour.