1 hr 10 mins
Homemade stock, homemade noodles, homemade soup, with a bonus serving of homemade pasta for two at another meal. Recipe is easily doubled. Don't double noodle recipe and use them all in the soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dark chicken meat, skin on
- 1/2 lb chicken breast, skin on
- 5 cups water
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled,cut in 5 pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut in 5 pieces
- 1/8 cup parsley stems, reserve sprigs
- 2 whole peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Stock: Cut away any obvious fat from chicken and place only dark meat chicken parts in Dutch oven or stockpot; add water, onion, carrot, celery, parsley stems, peppercorns and cloves.
- 2Bring to boil, skim off foam at top and then add thyme; reduce heat to simmer; simmer 20 minutes and then add chicken breast; simmer another 25 minutes until chicken is tender.
- 3Remove the chicken but continue to simmer broth; as soon as chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and return bones to broth; simmer another 20 minutes.
- 4Noodles: While the chicken and stock are simmering, make the noodles; in a food processor, process flour, eggs, oil, water, oregano, cheese and salt 45-60 seconds to mix and knead the pasta; (if making the pasta by hand, place flour on work surface and make a well in the center; add the other ingredients to the well and mix with hands to form dough; knead on floured surface for 10 minutes); cover dough and let rest 10-20 minutes.
- 5Divide dough in half and roll each as thinly as possible to a 14" square; trim the edges to make somewhat straight; lightly flour the surface of the dough; roll each square loosely, as for a jelly roll; cut each roll with sharp knife into 1/4" slices; shake slices open.
- 6Lay half of the noodles flat in a loose, overlapping mound; cut into 2" lengths and spread them out to dry for about 15 minutes; lay the other half of the noodles out flat to dry or drape on pasta dryer; when noodles are somewhat dry and do not stick together, roll in several loose circles of a few noodles each and seal in platic bag in a single layer; use in another dish of your choice within 2-3 days.
- 7Soup: Strain broth and return to pot; add stock and bring to a boil; add carrots and cook 2 minutes; add peas and noodles and cook another 2 minutes; add chicken, parsley, parmesan and salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (983 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1048.4
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 456.3 mg
- Sodium 1257.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 92.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: