1/1 Photo of Grandma's Chicken 'n' Dumpling Soup
3 hrs 25 mins
This came from a Taste of Home recipe collection from several years ago. It is requested by my family several time a year. Great during cold weather and when you are feeling under the weather. Takes a little time to prepare, but well worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, cut up
- 2 1/4 quarts cold water
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup fresh peas or 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped peeled potato
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Place chicken, water, bouillon cubes, peppercorns and cloves in an 8 quart Dutch oven or soup kettle.
- 2Cover and bring to boil; skim fat.
- 3Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or chicken is tender.
- 4Strain broth and return to kettle.
- 5When chicken is cool to touch; debone and cut into bite sized chunks.
- 6Return chicken to kettle and add cans of soup, vegetables and seasonings; bring to boil.
- 7Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 8Uncover and increase heat to a gentle boil.
- 9Remove bay leaf.
- 10For dumplings, combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- 11Stir in egg, butter and enough milk to make a moist stiff batter.
- 12Drop by teaspoonfuls into soup.
- 13Cover and cook (don't peek) for 18-20 minutes.
- 14Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
- 15NOTE: It states in the recipe 10-12 servings, I serve bigger bowls, so it probably serves 6-8.
- 16I also use a little less seasoned salt due to the salt content of both cans of soup.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Chicken 'n' Dumpling Soup
Serving Size: 1 (442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.9
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 91.8 mg
- Sodium 708.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: