Recipe by Halcyon Eve
My mom got this recipe from her mom, and passed it on to me. I've since lightened it up a bit (you can further lighten it by replacing the cheese with lowfat cheese--I just don't like lowfat cheese). I loved this recipe growing up, and my family loves my lighter version. I usually make it after roasting a turkey with some of the leftover turkey meat--it's just as good with turkey as with chicken! Leftovers reheat fine for a day or two, but it doesn't freeze well. You can adjust the heat by using hotter or milder salsa, and replacing the mild chilies with spicy chilies if desired.
- 6 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (or about 6 cups cooked, cubed chicken or turkey, white or dark meat)
- 8 flour tortillas (I use flour) or 8 corn tortillas, quartered (I use flour)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans low-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 soup can water
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 (7 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies
- 1 (7 ounce) can salsa (or 1 cup of salsa)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine soup, water, onion, sour cream, chilis, and salsa until well-blended.
- Spread half of the mixture over bottom of a 10x14 inch baking dish. Top with half of the quartered tortillas, then with half of the cubed chicken and finally half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350* F for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling and heated through.