Halcyon Eve's Note:
My mom got this recipe from her mom, and passed it on to me. I've since lightened it up a bit (you can further lighten it by replacing the cheese with lowfat cheese--I just don't like lowfat cheese). I loved this recipe growing up, and my family loves my lighter version. I usually make it after roasting a turkey with some of the leftover turkey meat--it's just as good with turkey as with chicken! Leftovers reheat fine for a day or two, but it doesn't freeze well. You can adjust the heat by using hotter or milder salsa, and replacing the mild chilies with spicy chilies if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (or about 6 cups cooked, cubed chicken or turkey, white or dark meat)
- 8 flour tortillas (I use flour) or 8 corn tortillas, quartered (I use flour)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans low-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 soup can water
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped mild green chilies
- 1 (7 ounce) can salsa (or 1 cup of salsa)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350* F.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine soup, water, onion, sour cream, chilis, and salsa until well-blended.
- 3Spread half of the mixture over bottom of a 10x14 inch baking dish. Top with half of the quartered tortillas, then with half of the cubed chicken and finally half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- 4Bake, uncovered, at 350* F for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling and heated through.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Chicken Enchilada Casserole (Lighter Version)
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.8
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 102.1 mg
- Sodium 914.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 34.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat condensed cream of chicken soup