Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom got this recipe from her mom, and passed it on to me. I've since lightened it up a bit (you can further lighten it by replacing the cheese with lowfat cheese--I just don't like lowfat cheese). I loved this recipe growing up, and my family loves my lighter version. I usually make it after roasting a turkey with some of the leftover turkey meat--it's just as good with turkey as with chicken! Leftovers reheat fine for a day or two, but it doesn't freeze well. You can adjust the heat by using hotter or milder salsa, and replacing the mild chilies with spicy chilies if desired.
- 6 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (or about 6 cups cooked, cubed chicken or turkey, white or dark meat)
- 8 flour tortillas (I use flour) or 8 corn tortillas, quartered (I use flour)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans low-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 soup can water
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 (7 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies
- 1 (7 ounce) can salsa (or 1 cup of salsa)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine soup, water, onion, sour cream, chilis, and salsa until well-blended.
- Spread half of the mixture over bottom of a 10x14 inch baking dish. Top with half of the quartered tortillas, then with half of the cubed chicken and finally half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350* F for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling and heated through.