25 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
From my Family Recipe Box, here's a nostalgic look at an overnight chicken casserole. From the Family Recipe Box, in Grandma's handwriting. Attributed to Luelle Swanson. Note from Julie: I can see many things I'd do differently with this recipe to update it. I'd add garlic, for more flavor, and more onions. Perhaps green onions, as well. Some cayenne, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf good white bread or 1 loaf potato bread
- 1/2 cup butter, soft
- 2 cups diced chicken or 2 cups seafood, if you'd like a seafood casserole
- 3 ounces canned mushrooms
- 1 cup finely minced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup grated cheese (cheddar, jack, gouda, etc, "or" mixture)
- 1Cut crusts from enough slices of bread to cover bottom of a 9x12x2 inch pan or larger.
- 2Butter both sides of the bread and lay in pan.
- 3Mix together the chicken, mushrooms, celery, and onion and cover the bread with the mixture.
- 4Be sure the celery is finely minced so that it will be sure to cook through.
- 5Mix together the eggs, milk, and mayonnaise and pour it over the chicken mixture.
- 6Top with slices of buttered bread (crusts removed), same as bottom.
- 7(Cover with plastic wrap.) Let stand in refrigerator overnight or during all day.
- 8This must be done for good recipe.
- 9When ready to put in oven, spread can of undiluted cream of mushroom soup on top.
- 10Bake 1 1/4 hour at 350 degrees for crusty top.
- 11Sprinkle with grated cheese when done and broil for 3 to 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Chicken Delight
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 725.2
- Calories from Fat 406
- Total Fat 45.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 215.2 mg
- Sodium 1622.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 18.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: