Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is the way my Grandma made barley soup (she also made a version using beef stew meat). Great on a cold day served with a crusty French bread.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4 large chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on
- 1419.54 ml chicken broth, divided
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 226.79 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 177.44 ml pearl barley, rinsed
- 411.06 g can tomatoes, diced (do not drain)
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 29.58 ml fresh Italian parsley, minced
- Heat oil over medium-high temperature in a large, heavy stockpot. Add chicken thighs, skin side down, and brown.
- Add 2 cups of the broth to pan and turn heat down to medium-low. Cover pot with lid. Cook about 40 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Leaving broth in pan, remove chicken to a bowl and set aside to cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate.
- Add remaining broth to pan. Stir in remaining ingredients (except salt, pepper and parsley). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer about 1 1/2 hours, until barley and vegetables are done.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken meat and skin from bones. Discard bones and coarsely chop meat and skin (if you do not want the skin, skip the browning process and discard skin after removing meat from bones). Add to pot for last 1/2 hour and cook until heated through. (If soup is too thick at this point, add some water) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add parsley and ladle into bowls.
awesome recipe. I used Quick Barley and drained the tomatoes
I really enjoyed this recipe. I plan on freezing the extra in individual sized containers for the a quick dinner another night. I did find it to be to thick so I added 3 cups of water and 8oz extra of chicken broth. Also I used fresh basil from my garden and only used 3 medium carrots. I used baby bella mushrooms and they were great! Wonderful recipe. Love the barley and mushroom combination.
Really a nice soup. Loved the barley and mushrooms together. Made for Football Pool, Week 1, 2013 Season.