Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Grandma used to make this all the time when we were kids. The egg added nutrition and looked pretty in the pot. The recipe calls for 2 chicken bouillon, but I don't use it.
- 1892.0 ml chicken stock
- 118.29 ml onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and slivered
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 118.29 ml celery, diced
- 118.29 ml uncooked white rice
- 946.36 ml cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Add stock, onions, carrots, parsnip, celery, salt, chicken, and uncooked rice to a large soup pot; cook covered for 20 minutes on simmer.
- At the end, add beaten egg slowly to soup in a constant stream, while whisking soup slowly. This will produce a swirled egg pattern in the soup.
This is a great and comforting chicken soup! I left out the onion as I don't care for them, otherwise made as specified. I expected to have to add a lot of salt at serving time and was pleasantly surprised that all it needed was a sprinkling of black pepper. This mild and tasty soup would be great anytime - thanks for posting the recipe! Made for My 3 Chefs November 2008