Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Comfort food for colds, rainy days, and long winter's nights. This is an all-day slow cooking soup, from my Grandma Andersen.
- Place chicken in a large stock pot. Add enough water to just cover chicken. Simmer covered, until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove Chicken and debone, discard bones and skin. Chop remaining meat.
- Add the rest of Soup ingredients, including chopped chicken, to the broth in the stock pot. Simmer uncovered, 2-3 hours, until veggies are tender.
- For the dumplings, mix together flour baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add oil and milk, mix until just combined.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Do not mix. Cook for 10 minutes uncovered, then 10 minutes tightly covered. Serve hot by carefully scooping into bowls keeping dumplings intact.
We really didn't like this at all. I think it may have been the tarragon. It tasted nothing like the homemade chicken soup I grew up on. I did not try the dumplings because we didn't care for the main part of the soup and I didn't want to put any more effort into it. I did added noodles and we still threw the whole thing out. Sorry.
i only used the dumpling part of this recipe, since i got the soup part right long ago, and have always failed at the dumpling part. these were absolutely the BEST dumplings i've ever had. i made my dumplings smaller, since that's the way i liked them, and lessened the cooking time a bit and they were just heavenly, thank you so much for posting!!