Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This side dish has been at every holiday meal as long as I can remember; it wouldn't be right without it. We prefer this bean casserole over the typical one with cream of mushroom soup. The almonds are great for a little crunch but we usually top ours with the fried onions. This year I made it a day ahead of time and threw it in the crockpot to heat; this saves space in the oven during holiday meals.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (scant)
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- French style green bean, drained (2 or 3 cans)
- slivered almonds (optional)
- durkee fried onions (optional)
- Mix butter, onion, flour, ground mustard, salt, pepper and milk.
- Boil until thickened.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Add drained green beans.
- Pour into casserole dish and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- If you want to use the fried onions, sprinkle them on top for the last 10 minutes of baking time.
These are excellent. I used fresh green beans. I blanched them in boiling water for 2 minutes then set them aside. Thanks for the recipe. :)
These were really good! I used frozen green beans. I didn't have the fried onions, but I'm sure that would be great on it! :) Thank you for sharing!