Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Grandmother made this for us some 50 years ago. I have found it to be a great kid pleaser, even the fussy ones! It is affordable and simple to make. I like it better reheated for two minutes in the microwave and it freezes well.
- 226.79 g spaghetti
- 226.79 g sharp to old cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 538.64 g can tomato juice
- butter or olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Prepare spaghetti pasta according to package directions.
- While spaghetti is cooking; in a separate saucepan add butter or olive oil, chopped onion and salt.
- Cook onions until they are soft (careful not to burn your onions).
- Add the tomato juice and bring to a slight boil.
- Add the cheese and blend until the cheese is almost melted.
- Drain spaghetti and place in an oven proof dish.
- Pour the sauce over spaghetti and mix together.
- Place in a 350 F oven for about 10 - 15 minutes to allow the noodles to absorb the sauce.
I've had this recipe saved for a while and every time I've thought about making I've talked myself out of it because it looks too simple and I imagine it tasting like spaghetti O's. I was so wrong, it turned out delicious! Quick, easy and tasty, my favorite type of recipe. Next time I may top it with some fresh chopped basil, the recipe doesn't need it, but we love fresh herbs and it seems like a natural fit. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Beware of a copycat recipe on the internet which calls for cubed tomatoes. The original calls for tomato juice only.