- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced onion
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a pot. Whisk In flour and mustard and keep whisking to make sure there are no lumps.
- Stir milk in slowly. Add onion and bay leaf; simmer for 10 minutes, then remove bay leaf.
- Stir in 3/4 cheese and pour over macaroni.
- Add salt and pepper and then pour into a 2-quart baking dish. Cover with remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 350°.