Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Grandma's Turkey Noodle Casserole
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushrooms
- 2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Brown meat in skillet, drain off fat.
- Saute onions, green pepper, garlic and celery until onions start to look translucent.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Spoon a small amount of sauce into 9x13-inch pan.
- Top with 8 oz. UNCOOKED egg noodles.
- Cover with remaining sauce and top with 6 oz. skim milk mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
I liked this even more than I thought I would and Dh went totally nuts for it. I used lowfat and fat free versions of everything and whole wheat pasta. It was like an easy, quick version of lasagna.