Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
my grandmother jake recently passed away and i told my dad that all i wanted of hers was her recipe for her carrot cake. it brings back so many great memeories, and to me it is truly the best carrot cake i have ever tasted.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 4 1⁄3 ounces canned carrots
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup real butter
- 1 (8 ounce) box cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- drain the carrots and mash them in large bowl.
- in a separate bowl mix the salt, allspice, cinnamon, wheat germ,baking soda, and flour.
- in another bowl whip the eggs til smooth.
- add the sugar and the vegetable oil and cream together.
- add the flour mixture and the egg mixture to the carrots, whip til mixed well.
- add the buttermilk and the walnuts and mix again.
- bake at 350 degrees in a well oiled and floured cake pan for 50 minutes.
- cool completely.
- mix the softened butter, softened cream cheese, vanilla, sugar, and lemon.
- frost the cake and enjoy.
- ps. i have been known to add another box of cream cheese and another
- stick of butter, more calories but oh so tasty.
I was looking for a way to use up my canned carrots.. This was very moist and cooked perfectly within the 50 mins. The cream cheese frosting made a lot so the kids got big spoonfuls to snack on after the cake was frosted. Yummy stuff! Thanks so much for sharing your grandmother's wonderful carrot cake! Oh, and all my kids turned their nose up at the mention of "carrot" cake,but all of them enjoyed it! I will make again.