Recipe by Dine & Dish
I love French Toast, but I especially love it the way my Grandma Sumner used to make it. Delicious, flavorful and memorable (and a tad bit messy)!!
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices bread
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Beat together eggs, milk and salt.
- Dip bread one at a time into egg mixture and fry until light brown and egg is cooked.
- After 4 slices of bread have been cooked, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Cook remaining bread slices until light brown on both sides and egg is cooked.
- After all bread slices have been cooked and removed from pan, add brown sugar to pan and turn the heat to low.
- Stir until melted and sticky (watch carefully for burning). Add water and stir. Place French toast in caramel sauce. Turn to coat, then remove from pan. Serve.