Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was one of my favorite treats that my grandmother used to make for me and my brother. This is the exact recipe that I just inherited from my grandmother along with many other wonderful recipes I will be posting.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 7 1⁄2 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 quarts popped popcorn
- Combine butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup.
- Stir well and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir in condensed milk.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, until the mixture forms a soft ball in cold water (takes just a few minutes). It will be between 234-238 degrees farenheit on a candy thermometer.
- Stir in vanilla and remove from heat.
- Pour over the popped popcorn and stir well.
- Butter your hands lightly, and shape the popcorn into balls about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Makes about 15 balls.
I cannot rate these popcorn balls high enough. They are heavenly. I was looking for some that would be beyond comparison and this was the recipe. Thank you for sharing! We make these every year!
Love the taste of this... and easy to do... followed directions to the letter. I used a candy thermometer to check the temp...