Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Cabbage simmered in chicken broth along with tomatoes, garlic and onions. Adapted from a recipe posted by JGCASE on allrecipes.com
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 2 quarts water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained and diced
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Stir in onion and garlic, cook until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in water, bouillon, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then stir in cabbage.
- Simmer until cabbage wilts, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Return to a boil, then simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often.
PAC 2008 fall- I enjoyed this soup and will continue to. DH and DS did not care for it. They are soupers with meat and tons of veggies included. I like it becaue of it's low fat low cal nutrition fact. I can see this as a good base to start and will add in some green beans and maybe red beans to boost the veggie factor. Both are low cal but the red beans will add some protien. Thank you for a good recipe for moi.