Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm submitting this recipe to honor my grandma's awesome cooking legacy! This is a family favorite! Enjoy.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup . buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Crisco
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and lightly flour two 9" round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugar and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add to creamed sugar mixture.
- Beat together and while mixing, add 1 1/2 cups buttermilk and the vanilla.
- Beat on medium until well mixed.
- In a small, separate bowl, mix 1/3 cup buttermilk with 1 teaspoons baking soda.
- With a spatula, gently fold the baking soda and buttermilk mixture to batter.
- Divide the batter into the two 9" round pans and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare icing by mixing all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Whip hard for 5-10 minutes.
- Place one cake on a cake plate.
- Put approximately 1/3 frosting on top of the cake. Top with the second cake.
- Frost the top of the second cake and the sides of both cakes.