This is my DH's grandmother's (Chicago) cookie recipe. She always kept a tin of them in her pantry. They are simple, crisp, delicious and invoke warm family memories. Because they are "slice and bake", cooking time includes overnight refrigeration. Individual rolls can be stored in the freezer and pulled out to be baked for unexpected company or when you want a little something sweet with a cup of coffee.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a bowl cream butter and sugars.
- 2Add eggs and vanilla; beat until well blended.
- 3Mix in flour and baking soda.
- 4Fold in walnuts.
- 5Divide dough into four portions.
- 6Form each portion into a 1 1/2-inch by 12-inch roll.
- 7Wrap each roll in waxed paper.
- 8Refrigerate over night.
- 9To bake, unwrap roll.
- 10Using thin, sharp knife, cut into slices aboiut 1/4-inch thick.
- 11Place slices on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 12Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
- 13Remove cookies from baking sheet and cool on rack.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Butter Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 163.1
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 29.1 mg
- Sodium 85.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 1.9 g