Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from my mom, who got it from her mom. These are the best raisin cookies I have ever had. They stay very soft! Most people look skeptical of raisin cookies until they try these, and then they ask for the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bring water to boil in small pot, add raisans and boil 5 minutes. Cool. Do not drain water - it will be used in recipe.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add cooled raisans with any left over water, and vanilla.
- Stir flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice to wet ingredients.
- Drop by teaspoon onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. This mixture is not meant to be really dry.
- Bake 10 minutes.
Alison is right--these cookies are wonderfully soft, not overly-sweet and just delicious. Thanks for sharing a passed-down family recipe. I did use 1/2 C butter and 1/2 C Crisco (personal cookie preference) and did not grease the sheets. Had no trouble removing the cookies.
Thanks Alison, this recipe is as close as I have found to how my mom 7 grama made raisin cookies (missed getting this recipe from them) They are smooth and yummy - I will add a few more raisins next time because I love them!