Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
This is the base recipe I use to make chicken and noodles, chicken and dumplings and chicken with rice soup. You can use the chicken for any recipe that calls for cooked chicken and freeze the broth in one cup servings for any recipe that calls for chicken broth.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken, whole (Grandma said 1 fat hen)
- 1 large onion, chopped in large chunks
- 3 carrots, chopped into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped into chunks
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn, whole
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash chicken well. Place all ingredients in large pot. Cover with water.
- Cover and bring to boil over high heat. Set lid at angle so steam can escape from pot. Lower heat to gentle boil and cook for 1-1 1/2 hours. Add more water if needed.
- When meat is falling off the bone, remove from heat. Remove chicken from broth and let cool. Once cool, remove skin and bones and discard. Chop or shred meat.
- Strain broth and cool in fridge until fat hardens on top. Remove fat and discard. Freeze unused broth for future use.