Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is dark, rich and moist. It is sweet and flavorful and I am told unlike any other people have tasted. Some liken it Mimi's Cafe, but say it is better. My mother, Belen, who passed away at the age of 100 had been making this for as long as I can remember. Please follow the instructions regarding putting the vinegar in the milk in one cup and the baking soda in warm water in another before mixing it with other ingredients. It makes a difference.
- Mix together 4 tablespoons milk with 1 teaspoons white vinegar in a cup.
- Mix together 1 ts. baking soda with 1 tablespoons warm water in a separate cup.
- Beat sugar and margarine until blended.
- Add eggs and bananas and mix.
- Add everything else.
- Prepare a large.
- large loaf pan by coating it with shortening,.
- flour and lining the bottom with waxed.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Toothpick test for doneness.
I was disappointed, actually. I used this recipe only because I couldn't find the one I usually use. It did not have nearly the banana flavor I would like in a banana bread and it generally seemed a bit bland. The vinegar/baking soda treatment did seem to give it a fluffy texture. I may try that in other recipes, but other than that, I would not use this recipe again.
This was really good. I used only 1 cup of sugar but it still turned out very yummy. Next time I'll only need to bake it for 1 hour or so. I set the timer for 1 1/2 hours and at 20 mins. left it was a bit overdone. Still very tastey though. I also did not add nuts or raisins.
Just made this today and all I can say is wow. This is the best banana nut bread that I have ever tasted. I did cut the sugar down to 1 cup like another reviewer. It took 1 hour 20 min. to bake. I loved the hint of vanilla that you could taste in each bite. Just a great banana nut bread. Thanks chef lunita for a wonderful recipe.