This is dark, rich and moist. It is sweet and flavorful and I am told unlike any other people have tasted. Some liken it Mimi's Cafe, but say it is better. My mother, Belen, who passed away at the age of 100 had been making this for as long as I can remember. Please follow the instructions regarding putting the vinegar in the milk in one cup and the baking soda in warm water in another before mixing it with other ingredients. It makes a difference.
- Mix together 4 tablespoons milk with 1 teaspoons white vinegar in a cup.
- Mix together 1 ts. baking soda with 1 tablespoons warm water in a separate cup.
- Beat sugar and margarine until blended.
- Add eggs and bananas and mix.
- Add everything else.
- Prepare a large.
- large loaf pan by coating it with shortening,.
- flour and lining the bottom with waxed.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Toothpick test for doneness.