Recipe by PJH
My Mother has made this stew for as long as I can remember. The lentils do a great job of making a nice thick gravy! Enjoy!
- 1 lb chuck steak
- 2 medium onions
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon marmite (or 1 T. Worcestershire Sauce)
- 1⁄4 pint stock
- 1 pint crushed tomatoes
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 3 sticks celery
- 1 cup frozen peas or 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- about 1-2 cups vegetables (see below)
- green pepper
- green beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a pressure cooker. Seal the meat in a small amount of oil, add onions, garlic, bay leaf marmite and stock. Bring to pressure then turn off the heat and leave the pressure cooker on the stove and allow to come to normal pressure so that you can remove the lid. Do not remove the pressure manually.
- Add the tomatoes, potatoes and other vegetables except the peas, stir well then pour the lentils over the top. Do NOT stir the lentils in at this point or they will burn onto the bottom of the pressure cooker. You have been warned!
- Pressurize the cooker again, and again allow to come to normal pressure.
- Test to check that the vegetables are cooked; if not, re-pressurize.
- Add frozen vegetables and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir well and re-heat.