1/1 Photo of Grandma's Banana Pudding
This is the original, from scratch, like Grandma used to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- 2Stir in 4 egg yolks and milk; blend well.
- 3Cook, uncovered over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened.
- 4Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat, add vanilla.
- 6Spread small amount on bottom of 1-1 1/2 quart casserole; cover with layer of wafers.
- 7Top with layer of sliced bananas.
- 8Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas.
- 9Continue to layer wafers, bananas, and custard to make 3 layers of each, ending with custard.
- 10Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- 11Spoon on top of pudding, spreading to cover entire surface.
- 12and sealing well to edges.
- 13Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until delicately browned.
- 14Cool slightly or chill.
- 15Just before serving, garnish with banana slices, then insert vanilla wafers upright around edge of dish.
- 16Makes 16 servings.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Banana Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (113 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.4
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 57.1 mg
- Sodium 107.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 4.1 g