Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the original, from scratch, like Grandma used to make.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 dash salt
- 4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers, reserve 10 to 12 vanilla wafers for garnish
- 5 -6 medium bananas, sliced, reserve 1 banana for garnish
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- Stir in 4 egg yolks and milk; blend well.
- Cook, uncovered over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla.
- Spread small amount on bottom of 1-1 1/2 quart casserole; cover with layer of wafers.
- Top with layer of sliced bananas.
- Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas.
- Continue to layer wafers, bananas, and custard to make 3 layers of each, ending with custard.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon on top of pudding, spreading to cover entire surface.
- and sealing well to edges.
- Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until delicately browned.
- Cool slightly or chill.
- Just before serving, garnish with banana slices, then insert vanilla wafers upright around edge of dish.
- Makes 16 servings.
Let's bring these oldies but goodies back I say! This nanna pudding was delicious. Every bite had you coming back for more! We enjoyed it for Thanksgiving this year and the family wants it on the menu for Christmas, so it was definately a big success!
Ahhh, memories! This recipe takes me back to my childhood, when every Sunday after church we would head to my great-grandmother's house for Sunday dinner, a true Southern spread. Pretty much every meal ended with my favorite dessert...banana pudding. And this one tastes almost exactly like hers. I did leave off the meringue because I don't care for it. I just add a dollop of whipped cream instead and relax, sit back and enjoy my banana pudding...and the memories. Thank you so much for posting this!
Bliss, I've been looking for a banana pudding recipe like this for a long time. My husband is allergic to fresh fruit and can only have cooked fruit...one of his favorites are bananas...he loved this!!! Thanks so much!!!