Recipe by Feingold Mom
This is the best bread. If you want to make it as a dessert, you can add chocolate chips or carob chips last thing before pouring it into the pan.
- 1 cup sugar (half brown and half white)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk (1 T spoon vinegar in milk will substitute)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup pecans (chopped and Grandma used 1/2 c.)
- 3 bananas, mashed (very ripe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix in order given.
- Make sure to mix baking soda with butter milk and sift the baking powder with the flour.
- Bake in two greased loaf pan in 300 to 325 degree oven 1 hour. Mom also used a square cake pan because she only had one loaf pan.
- Be sure oven is not too hot as these loaves burn easily.
- Set rack in center of oven.
- For firmer loaf use 3 cups flour.