Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my one of my grandmothers recipes for banana nut bread, it is easy and it is moist and delicious!
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Crisco (Butter Flavor)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups bananas (Ripened)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts (Chopped)
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a bowl.
- Add eggs, Crisco and 1 cup of the ripened, mashed bananas.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining bananas and lemon juice.
- Beat 2 more minutes.
- Fold in nuts.
- Pour into a loaf pan sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until knife comes out clean.
I've been making the recipe for a few years and it's a big hit with every one. There are a few errors in the recipe, however. It's enough for a bundt cake pan or two regular loaf pans. It failed to say when you add the Crisco so I add it with the remaining bananas and lemon juice during step four. They also failed to tell you when to add baking soda but it goes in with all the other dry ingredients in step one of course. Very moist bread....
I have been using this recipe for two years now and it is a family favorite! I do use butter (or applesauce) instead of Crisco but other than that follow it to the letter. Thanks for sharing your family's recipes with all of us :)
This is my first time baking. I found the instructions incomplete as well serving size. It says it makes 1 loaf. Since I'm new at this I did not know that you should only fill the loaf pan half way. This recipe makes 2 loafs. I'm watching the whole thing spill over in my oven right now. What a waste of my money.