Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Old fashioned, this is from my Family Recipe Box. From the Family Recipe Box, in Grandma's handwriting and dated 3/13/76. Attributed to "Schopf."
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dates
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease well a 9 by 5 by 3 inch loaf pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- In large bowl with electrix mixer at high speed, beat butter, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla, occasionally scraping side of bowl with scraper, until light and fluffy- about 3 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine banana and buttermilk.
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture (in fourths) alternately with banana mixture in 3rds- about 1 minute.
- Stir in dates and nuts.
- Bake 1 hour and 10 or 15 minutes.
- Cool on rack 15 minutes in pan, then turn out on rack until cool.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar.