Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Grandma's bread is very moist and yummy! My husband even prefers it over my own recipe!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 3 -4 mashed bananas (the riper they are the better!)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons sour milk (to sour milk quickly, add enough milk to 1 T vinegar to make 1 cup, let stand 5 minutes)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup nutmeats (optional)
- Cream sugar and shortening together.
- Add bananas and egg; mix thoroughly.
- Add baking soda to sour milk.
- Add to batter and mix thoroughly.
- In separate bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Add to mixture and mix well.
- If desired, flour nutmeats before adding.
- Pour into two greased loaf pans.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes or until tests done.
- So yummy with a glass of milk!