Recipe by Zeppelin356
I got this recipe from my grandma, this is my favorite birthday treat. I recommend using strawberry ice cream. Yumm!
Top Review by Sarah L.
The cake and ice cream part was easy enough. When I attempted the meringue disaster struck. My meringue was liquid and would not become anything other than. I'm trying a different meringue recipe tonight but unfortunately I had to freeze the cake with the ice cream already in it because of the meringue incident. Update for an easier meringue recipe in my opinion.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1⁄2 gallon ice cream (any flavor)
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix egg yolks, water, and cake mix.
- Bake at 350º F for 20 minute in a 9x13 greased and floured pan.
- Make sure cake is lower in the center (slightly concave).
- Soften ice cream.
- Spread ice cream over cake leaving ~1/2 inch gap from edges of the pan.
- Place in freezer for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 500º F.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar.
- Slowly add sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Cover the cake completely with meringue.
- Bake in oven for 3 minute or until top is browned.