Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe was given to me by a friend. I've modified it slightly to use less sugar. Sometimes I leave the skins on the appple for a more rustic pie (plus you get a some extra fiber)
- 1 unbaked pie shell (I recommend Mango Chutney & Pork Medallions)
- 5 golden delicious apples, cored and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon tapioca
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 ounce powdered hot spiced cider mix, unprepared
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix all the ingedients together, except butter, in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour ingredients into a prepared 9" unbaked pie crust.
- Dot with butter.
- Add top crust and crimp edges with a fork.
- Sprinkle top of crust with a little extra sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 400°F.