Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my husband's favorite. His mom gave it to us many years ago. I have refined the recipe just a little since then. Please don't tell her...hehe. It doesn't need a frosting because it is so yummy just by itself, but it would dress it up to drizzle with a thin creamy icing. I had misplaced this recipe for the longest time and had thought I had lost it, so I hadn't made it for ages. My husband found it this weekend and I have made it twice since then. Both times it was gone before it was even all the way cooled, thanks to our 5 daughters. My husband and I barely managed to claim a few bites before it disappeared. I'm posting it here to share with everyone and to keep it from ever getting lost again. It's definately a keeper.
- 1⁄2 cup any kind brown sugar (dark is best)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter, very soft
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups raw apples, peeled cored,and diced (2 large or 3 medium or 4 small)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together the first six ingredients, then fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the apples and nuts.
- Spread in the prepared pan.
- The batter will be thick.
- Bake until it tests done by poking it with a toothpick in the center.
- If it comes out dry it is done.
- Baking time will be approximately 40 mins, plus or minus.
Today we decided to meet up in the morning with some of our new friends here and I decided to bake this cake for them. This was easy to do and all of them enjoyed it. They even asked for the recipe:-) Thank you for a very good cake on behalf of everyone and myself!