This was a massive hit when i was growing up. My grandma would make this weekly and as visitors called she would have orders to make her guests a cake for the following week. She served it with custard, vanilla ice cream or fresh cream and all were equally delicious! This was a great cake to eat during the winter served hot with custard. I have now started to add a handful of flaked almonds, sprinkled on top of the cake (just before it goes in the oven) The addition of the flaked almonds, seems to be an even bigger hit! Enjoy!
- Grease and flour a 9 inch cake tin.
- Cream butter and orange rind, caster sugar and beat until light and creamy.
- Mix 1 tablespoonful of the flour with apples in a dish.
- Put eggs, milk in bowl with creamed butted.
- Add remaining flour, peel and apples to the creamed mixture; blend well with a metal spoon.
- Turn into prepared tin, sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Cook at 350°F/Gas 4, for 40-50 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve cold as a cake or hot as a pudding with custard, cream or ice cream.