1/1 Photo of Grandma's Amish Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
This bread is from my Amish Grandma's recipe collection. My favorite times with Grandma were always centered around the kitchen and this was one of my favorites to make with her. I've updated it slightly, since Grandma didn't have electricity to work with, but it still tastes (almost) the same. This is still a family favorite at holiday gatherings and with Easter coming up it'll be a hit!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 3/4-5 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1 1/3 cups milk (whole is best, but I've used skim and low- fat with good results)
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (margarine can be substituted)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large brown eggs (white eggs can be substituted)
- 1In a large bowl combine 2 cups of the flour with the yeast.
- 2In a small sauce pan heat milk, sugar, butter and salt to 120-130 degrees F.
- 3Slowly add the milk mixture to the flour mixture beating well.
- 4Add the eggs and beat well.
- 5Slowly add the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough is moderately stiff.
- 6Knead dough until smooth and elastic using stand mixer with dough hook at medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes or 6 to 8 minutes by hand on a lightly floured board.
- 7Place dough into a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat.
- 8Cover bowl with a warm cloth that is slightly damp.
- 9Let rise 30 to 45 minutes or until double in size.
- 10Punch down and divide in half.
- 11Cover portions with the cloth and let rest 10 minutes.
- 12Shape dough into 2 loaves and put into greased loaf pans.
- 13Let rise again until double.
- 14Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees F 25 to 30 minutes.
- 15Remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
- 16When completely cool wrap and store in a cool, dry place.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Amish Bread
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.1
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 21.2 mg
- Sodium 62.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 3.9 g