Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was handed down from my grandmother who's father came from Denmark. The story goes that it was her father that taught her how to make these since her mother died when she was quite young. It makes lovely, fluffy, apple puffs of goodness. You may use a small piece of apple rather than applesauce, but my grandmother always preferred her own homemade cinnamony applesauce.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In good sized mixing bowl, beat egg yolks. Then mix in sugar, salt and buttermilk.
- Mix in sifted dry ingredients until just combined.
- In large mixing bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in egg whites into batter until just mixed.
- Heat aebleskiver pan and put dot of butter in each hole.
- When hot, fill each hole 2/3 full with batter. When almost cooked, place scant teaspoon applesauce on each aebleskiver. Top off each hole with a small dollop more batter.
- Turn aebleskivers with a knitting needle to cook the other side.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with jam or syrup.