Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I know there's many, many spanish rice recipes on this site but this is my favorite. My VERY picky son will eat it too. It comes from a California Rancho cookbook I got from the library.
- Fry the rice in hot olive oil until it is golden and there is a whiff of a popcorn smell.
- Add the onion, garlic, and salt and saute a bit more. Then tip the pan and spoon off any excess oil.
- Add the chile powder and water.
- Allow the rice to cook on medium heat for 10 minutes or until you see little holes forming in the center (the sign the rice has absorbed most of the liquid).
- Turn the heat to low, put on a lid and steam for 10 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat BUT leave the pot undisturbed for atleast 20 minutes. This extra time will allow the rice grains to steam and swell to lovely fluffiness.