Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has more cheddar cheese than some other recipes, which I like. My grandmother used to make this frequently. Once when I was returning to college, she gave me part of a ball so that I could share it with my roommates. They thought it was fantastic and promptly asked for the recipe! Cooking time is approximate chilling time.
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- finely chopped walnuts
- Combine softened cream cheese and cheddar, mixing until well blended. (My grandmother did this with her hands, and that's what I have done, too.).
- Add remaining ingredients except nuts. Mix well. Chill.
- Shape into ball. Roll in nuts. Serve with crackers.
3 Stars, because I would make changes. This made a very pleasant cheese ball. I recommend wearing latex gloves when you mix the ingredients (which I allowed to chill 24 hours before I formed and coated the cheese ball) and when you roll the ball in chopped nuts. I chopped 1 cup of walnut halves in my food processor and had 3/16 cup left after I coated this 4-inch diameter cheese ball; a pasta dish was the perfect size for the ball coating step. The cream cheese predominated, and I admit a personal bias for a higher proportion of cheddar cheese. I wanted to add some extra zing to it, so I would consider adding 1/4 cup chutney, thinly sliced stuffed green olives, or thinly sliced green onions -- but wouldn't it be even better to prepare this cheese ball as it is and surround it with a relish tray with each of the additions as an optional garnish for your guests!