1/1 Photo of Grandmag's Baked Christmas Ham
We always have a huge smoked ham at Christmas. When my children were little I never slept Christmas Eve night, I always stayed up and cooked the Christmas ham, and waited on Santa. My GrannyN use to cook hers this way, the only thing I changed is I don't pre-bake the ham in brown paper bags like she did. Cook times vary from the size of the ham used. Our ham at Christmas is usually 25-30 pounds. Check the package wrap for suggested cook times for the pound ham that you purchased. My final cook times are approximate, it depends on the thermometer readings. I have also posted a great recipe for leftover ham.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 -30 lbs whole smoked ham
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple slices, set aside the liquid (if you have a smaller ham use the 4 ounce can)
- 8 maraschino cherries, whole, set aside 2 teaspoons liquid (I use the red and the green colored ones)
- 2 (16 ounce) boxes brown sugar (I use dark brown sugar)
- 1 (1 ounce) jar whole cloves
- 1 cup honey
- wooden toothpick
- 1Wash ham throughly.
- 2Cut diagional criss crossed lines one inch apart, one inch deep.
- 3When you are finished the cut lines should look diamond shape.
- 4This has to be done all around the whole ham.
- 5Insert whole clove in each crossed section.
- 6Try to push the clove down at least an inch into the meat.
- 7Bake one hour covered, in very deep baking pan, at 275 degrees.
- 8This is where my GrannyN would have the ham in a paper bag.
- 9Drain off fat.
- 10Bake another hour covered at 275 degrees.
- 11Drain off fat.
- 12Let ham sit uncovered while you warm the honey.
- 13Pour honey over the ham, and cook uncovered for an hour at 300 degrees.
- 14Remove from oven and drain.
- 15Let sit until cool to touch, about 30 minutes.
- 16The ham top should be a little sticky.
- 17If not it's ok.
- 18When cool, using your hands, pack brown sugar all over the top and sides of ham.
- 19Pushing the sugar in the cut slices.
- 20Push tooth picks through the cherries.
- 21Place pineapple rings on top of ham using toothpick with cherries to hold in place.
- 22Insert meat thermometer.
- 23Mix together pineapple juice and cherry juice.
- 25Pour half of mixture in bottom of pan.
- 26Cover, and bake for 2 hours at 350 degrees.
- 27Check doneness.
- 28Usually at this point the ham is usually done.
- 29Last 30 minutes, Uncover and pour remainder of pineapple juice on top.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandmag's Baked Christmas Ham
Serving Size: 1 (13128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 23343.0
- Calories from Fat 9565
- Total Fat 1062.8 g
- Saturated Fat 353.7 g
- Cholesterol 6248.0 mg
- Sodium 157324.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1378.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.0 g
- Sugars 1209.4 g
- Protein 2106.8 g