Recipe by GrandmaG
We always have a huge smoked ham at Christmas. When my children were little I never slept Christmas Eve night, I always stayed up and cooked the Christmas ham, and waited on Santa. My GrannyN use to cook hers this way, the only thing I changed is I don't pre-bake the ham in brown paper bags like she did. Cook times vary from the size of the ham used. Our ham at Christmas is usually 25-30 pounds. Check the package wrap for suggested cook times for the pound ham that you purchased. My final cook times are approximate, it depends on the thermometer readings. I have also posted a great recipe for leftover ham.
Top Review by I HATE TO COOK
I love this recipe, I made it for Christmas of '07 and it cam out great. I lost the recipe and search for months and finally found it again just in time for Mother's day. It's a perfect meal for every ham lover. Thanks for the great meal.
- 20 -30 lbs whole smoked ham
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple slices, set aside the liquid (if you have a smaller ham use the 4 ounce can)
- 8 maraschino cherries, whole, set aside 2 teaspoons liquid (I use the red and the green colored ones)
- 2 (16 ounce) boxes brown sugar (I use dark brown sugar)
- 1 (1 ounce) jar whole cloves
- 1 cup honey
- wooden toothpick
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash ham throughly.
- Cut diagional criss crossed lines one inch apart, one inch deep.
- When you are finished the cut lines should look diamond shape.
- This has to be done all around the whole ham.
- Insert whole clove in each crossed section.
- Try to push the clove down at least an inch into the meat.
- Bake one hour covered, in very deep baking pan, at 275 degrees.
- This is where my GrannyN would have the ham in a paper bag.
- Drain off fat.
- Bake another hour covered at 275 degrees.
- Drain off fat.
- Let ham sit uncovered while you warm the honey.
- Pour honey over the ham, and cook uncovered for an hour at 300 degrees.
- Remove from oven and drain.
- Let sit until cool to touch, about 30 minutes.
- The ham top should be a little sticky.
- If not it's ok.
- When cool, using your hands, pack brown sugar all over the top and sides of ham.
- Pushing the sugar in the cut slices.
- Push tooth picks through the cherries.
- Place pineapple rings on top of ham using toothpick with cherries to hold in place.
- Insert meat thermometer.
- Mix together pineapple juice and cherry juice.
- Pour half of mixture in bottom of pan.
- Cover, and bake for 2 hours at 350 degrees.
- Check doneness.
- Usually at this point the ham is usually done.
- Last 30 minutes, Uncover and pour remainder of pineapple juice on top.