Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
I get requests for these all the time. My Grandma has been making these for 60 years.
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄3 cups shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs
- 7 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast in the 1/4 C warm water. Set aside.
- In large bowl, pour boiling water over the shortening and stir until melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add sugar, salt, eggs, and yeast to the shortening. Beat with mixer until well blended.
- Add in 3 cups of flour and mix well. Continue adding flour 1 cup at a time until dough is desired consistency.
- Knead for 8 minutes.
- Set aside and let rise in warm place until double in size.
- Punch dough down and roll out on counter. Cut rolls out with biscuit cutter. Put a pat of butter in the middle of the roll and fold over. Pinch edges. Place on cookie sheet and let rise until double in size.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.