Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is like a religion in my family. You do not mess with it and everyone is a part of making it. This is a combination of corn and white bread. It is simple, but so deliscious. This is a traditional recipe that has been handed down through at least four generations. All amounts given are very approximate and subject to change according to your taste.
- 3 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 10 cups day-old white bread
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage, rubbed
- 3 -5 cups chicken broth
- Prepare corn bread, allow to cool enough to handle.
- In a large bowl tear white bread into small pieces. Crumble cornbread into the bowl.
- Add onions, celery, salt, pepper and sage.
- Toss ingredients to evenly distribute.
- Add eggs to the bread mixture. Stir to coat bread with eggs.
- Add chicken broth to the bread mixture until it is thoroughly moistened, but not soupy.
- Place in a 13X9 greased pan. Alternately it can be cooked in the bird.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Farenheit, or until golden brown.
- *Recipe Note: The amount of chicen broth used will depend on your tastes and desired consistencey. If you like a moister dressing/stuffing use more if you prefer it more dry (more like a Stove Top-type) stuffing/dressing then add less. The choice is yours. ;-).