- 6 lbs shelled green beans (Kentucky Wonders)
- 2 lbs ham hocks
- 2 large white onions
- 1⁄2 cup bacon fat or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 12 ounces water
Directions See How It's Made
- Break the beans into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Wash and set aside.
- Chop ham hocks and onions in to bite-size pieces.
- In a a large pot heat at medium heat the bacon fat or butter.
- Add your ham hocks and onions. Cook until onions are tender.
- Add 16 ounces of water.
- Bring water to a boil and add the beans.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook to the desired tenderness.
- Beans will cook down to a grayish thick sauce.