I got this from my grandmother-in-law. She has had this recipe for a long time and everyone raves about them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a saucepan, mix together cocoa, sugar, flour, cornstarch.
- 2Slowly mix in milk. Cook and stir over medium high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook about 2 more minutes while stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat.
- 3Stir about one cup of the hot filling into the egg yolks then mix it back into the hot filling.
- 4Return saucepan to heat, and bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 5Remove from the heat, and stir in vanilla. Pour hot filing into crust.
- 6In a clean bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, and continue to beat until stiff. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing meringue to crust.
- 7Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma Thelma's Chocolate Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.8
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 85.2 mg
- Sodium 174.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 35.4 g
- Protein 6.7 g