Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I got this from my grandmother-in-law. She has had this recipe for a long time and everyone raves about them.
- In a saucepan, mix together cocoa, sugar, flour, cornstarch.
- Slowly mix in milk. Cook and stir over medium high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook about 2 more minutes while stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir about one cup of the hot filling into the egg yolks then mix it back into the hot filling.
- Return saucepan to heat, and bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in vanilla. Pour hot filing into crust.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, and continue to beat until stiff. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing meringue to crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
This is the most genuine yet easy recipies that I've seen!