Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is my mom's playdough recipe that she originally got from an old friend. My mom is the one that started adding the different extracts to the playdough to make such wonderful smelling playdough. My kids and I both love this recipe! It makes a very smooth playdough that will last a very long time. Enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (vegetable, safflower, etc.)
- food coloring (optional)
- extract (Vanilla, Orange, Lemon, and Mint extract all make the play dough smell lovely. DO NOT USE CINNAMON, ) (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together in a sauce pan.
- Cook on medium heat stirring CONSTANTLY until it gets in a ball and is no longer sticky.
- Seal in an airtight container and let the creativity flow.
- In an airtight container it will last for months.
I made some of this for the kids during a time when everyone was in town for a funeral. Everyone was so down and this really helped perk the kids up and let them enjoy themselves for a few hours. I wish I still had the pictures of the wonderful creations they made. We discovered that one little girl was really quite the artist. She discovered a talent she didn't know she had. It was great!
So much better, and cheaper than the kind in the little yellow bucket. Kids loved playing with it. I keep it in the fridge when not using it, and it has lasted for about 6 months so far. Thanks.
I used Orange Ginger Massage Oil from Bath & Body Works instead of the cooking oil, the smell is intoxicating. I was worried about the clumping when I first started to cook it but it was not a problem in the end. My 4 Â½ yr old is rolling and cutting out shapes as we speak. This quick and easy and MUCH better than store bought, I will make a lot more of this for her. Thank you!