Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have no idea where she got it, but this is how my mom always made her pumpkin cake. I've seen a few similar recipes, but none that quite matched it. Alternate ingredients are suggested for anyone wanting to keep it non-dairy.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix, minus 1 cup set aside for topping
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk or 2⁄3 cup non-dairy whipping cream
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups pumpkin pie mix (un-spiced) or 3 cups canned pumpkin (un-spiced)
Pumpkin Pie Spices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup yellow cake mix, the cup reserved from the crust
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- Crust: Combine ingredients and press into a baking pan.
- Filling: Combine until smooth. If not using pumpkin pie mix (pre-spiced) then add the Pumpkin Pie Spices (pumpkin pie mix already includes it). Pour over the crust.
- Topping: Combine all ingredients. The cake mix and sugar should be cut into the margarine with a knife, over and over until it is may small fragments almost like buttery crumbs (don't melt the margarine or blend it). Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 175C for 1 hour or longer, until inserted knife comes out clean.
- Serve with whipped cream ideally.