Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is my grannys whole wheat bread. She sent it to me and I had to post it here. I love this bread! So I hope you enjoy too! The 5 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour are approximate. It is different with everyone's climate. I hope you enjoy please z-mail me if you have any questions-pvw
- 473.18 ml water
- 78.07 ml oil
- 29.58 ml honey, melted
- 29.58 ml yeast
- 12.32 ml salt
- 236.59 ml white flour
- 1301.24 ml whole wheat flour
- In a mixer bowl add water, oil, honey, yeast, salt and white flour mix together.
- Add 3 cups of whole wheat flour and blend together.
- Add remaining flour in small amounts to get a firm but elastic texture (more flour may be added if needed).
- Knead on high speed for 10 minutes. Dough should be firm but elastic.
- Form into 2 loaves and place in well greased loaf pans. Let rise until doubled in size. (Could be covered with a damp kitchen dish towel) about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. (if you press on the dough at the corner of the pan it should dimple (or leave an indentation) when ready).
- Bake at 350'F for 30-45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped (if necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 5-10 minutes of baking to prevent over browning) Immediately remove bread from pans. Cool Completely on wire racks.
A great whole wheat bread! I made two beautiful loaves that rose nicely in about 50 minutes with a damp towel over them & under the hanging light on my kitchen island. Both loaves browned in about 25 minutes & I placed foil over them for the last 10 minutes they baked. I served this bread with a quick honey-butter spread & alongside Meatball Vegetable and Barley Soup. Thanks for sharing your granny's recipe, PVW! Made in gratitude for encouraging my interest in photo taking.