Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Grandma Sneltjes made this potato salad all summer long at the cabin. The secret to its goodness is the dressing you make yourself! This is a big enough recipe to feed a crowd!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar, tarragon flavored if possible
- 3 eggs, beaten fluffy
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled, cooked and diced
- 5 green onions
- 1 large onion
- 6 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise, Grandma always used Spin Blend salad dressing
- In a sauce pan stir together sugar, flour, mustard and salt. Mix in water, vinegar and eggs. Cook over low to medium until thick, letting mixture bubble up a couple of times, stirring constantly.
- Pour into a glass jar, seal and refrigerate (this can be done up to a week beforehand).
- Boil potatoes. Let cool (sprinkle a little tarragon vinegar on them while cooling) and cut into 1/2" chunks.
- Thinly slice entire green onions and mix with home dressing with mayonnaise, then mix in diced onion.
- Mix potatoes and diced hard boiled eggs with the dressing.