Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Everybody hates fruitcake....except me! My grandmother used to make several batches of these every Christmas and I would help her deliver them to her friends...it's more about the memories than the food, but it has converted several fruitcake haters into cravers.
- 2 lbs pitted dates
- 1⁄2 lb candied green cherries
- 1⁄2 lb candied red cherries
- 1⁄2 lb candied pineapple
- 1 lb brazil nut
- 1 lb walnut halves
- 1⁄2 lb candied orange peel (or citron)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 ounce rum
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Halve the dates and the cherries, add pineapple and orange peel and rum and let soak for about 30 minute.
- Add nuts and stir until evenly distributed.
- Sift flour,sugar,baking powder and salt together and sprinkle over fruit and nut mixture coating all pieces.
- Beat eggs until lemon-colored and pour over other ingredients -- mix thoroughly until all pieces are wet and no dry flour remains.
- Grease 5 3x6 loaf pans (mini) and line bottoms with parchment paper and grease that as well -- this mixture is extremely sticky! Press fruitcake mixture into pans and bake in 325 F oven for 1 hour -- remove and allow to cool.
- I have found they are easier to remove from pans while still slightly warm.
- I also brush daily with rum for about 3 or 4 days before serving -- wrapping each cake in plastic wrap or wax paper.